Who we are
Bitpanda is on a mission to reinvent the world of finance and bring investing closer to everyone, everywhere. Today’s financial ecosystem is complex, exclusive and expensive, and we’re here to change this as the #1 investment platform in Europe and beyond. Our platform is rooted in the belief that investing should be safe, easy and accessible to all. With Bitpanda, everyone has the freedom and flexibility to invest in what they believe in – commission-free stocks, cryptocurrencies or even precious metals – starting from as little as $1.
Our story started in 2014 with our founders, Eric Demuth, Paul Klanschek and Christian Trummer. Since then, we’ve grown to a powerful and diverse team of 600+ people who represent more than 50 nationalities. Headquartered in Vienna, we’re proud to be Austria’s first unicorn and one of the fastest-growing fintechs in Europe. Our innovative technology serves over 3 million users and operates across multiple hub locations. Our products are built by fast-moving, talented, “roll-up-your-sleeves-and-make-it-happen” kind of people. If you’re someone who thinks big, moves fast and wants to make an impact right from day one, then get ready to join our industry-changing team. Let’s go!
As Senior Software Engineer (Java) you will engage in all stages of the software engineering process from the inception phase, delivery to the end-customer until continuous support of Bitpanda Pro. This role places demand on timely and efficient delivery of high quality code, enhancements to the existing performance, architectural design and development of creative, compelling, and cutting-edge systems. The engineer must act with a strong sense of product affiliation and a sense of change ownership.
You will ensure an efficient API / backend system that is reliable, easy to maintain and caters all Frontend needs (internal) and external client needs. As part of a cross functional team you work end to end on the creation of new features and therefore interacts with the Technical Product Owners, Product Designers, Frontend Developers, QA as well as Scrum Master.
- Java 8+, JAXRS
- Vert.x and RxJava frameworks
- Kafka (Clients, Connect and Streams)
- AWS: RDS, DynamoDB, ECS, EC2
What you’ll do
- Design and develop scalable, resilient, message-driven services using Java programming language.
- Break down User Stories and tasks into digestible technical work packages for different services.
- Interact with client / partners to understand requirements better
- Write clean and correct code with high test coverage and extensive end-to-end testing.
- Keep debug-outputs tidy, write comments during development and ensure technical documentation.
- Contribute to conversational development, disseminate information to the rest of the team.
- Optimize systems to ensure reliability, performance, scalability, and maintainability.
- Troubleshoot to timely eliminate bugs and issues to ensure zero downtime and negative business impact.
- Interaction with engineers from different products across several teams.
- Guide and mentor other team members, and review code written by team members
- Analyze, design, create user stories, implement and communicate. Ask the right questions to understand the requirements thoroughly
- Regularly update the status of tasks and communicating / flagging issues at the earliest. Fixing bugs and issues on priority
- Error free code compilation and integration, deployment on branches
Who you are
- Strong knowledge and experience in software development, and solution-oriented methodologies
- Excellent knowledge of Java 11+, JAXRS
- Strong knowledge of relational databases
- Strong knowledge of at least one message-oriented middleware
- Advantageous if familiar with Vert.x and RxJava frameworks
- Advantageous if familiar with Kafka (Clients, Connect and Streams)
- Advantageous if familiar with AWS: RDS, DynamoDB, ECS, EC2
- Good knowledge of working database systems & database optimizations
- Good knowledge of Gherkin syntax
- Nice to have: experience working on the backend / API for a FinTech / Financial Institution
- Nice to have: experience integrating third party payment and / or verification providers
- Nice to have: experience with working in microservices architecture
- Nice to have: experience with developing large scale applications
- Nice to have: experience working in cross functional teams
What’s in it for you
Top-notch “tech pack” (a.k.a.: the latest and greatest hardware) that you need to help Bitpanda move the needle, right from day one. The best part? You can choose between PC or Mac. And yes, noise-cancelling headphones are included!
Individual stock option plan
Exclusive premiums when trading on Bitpanda
Occasional company-wide and team events – both in-person and virtually!
Learning & development opportunities
A brand new, optimised-for-hybrid-working, HQ office located in Vienna’s fintech hub (in the second district) as well as local office location hotspots in Berlin, London, Madrid, Barcelona and Milan (to name just a few!)
Bitpanda sustainable merch to keep you swagged out and living the Bitpanda brand
A global Bitpanda team of fast-moving, talented, “roll-up-your-sleeves-and-make-it-happen” kind of people who are united (across cultures and time zones) by our unique way of working.
And, above all, the opportunity to learn & grow as part of Bitpanda’s incredible journey to become Europe’s #1 investment platform.
Bitpanda is committed to fostering a fair and equal environment based on trust and mutual respect. We believe that a diverse and inclusive workplace is paramount to our success and we are committed to building a team that represents a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.