Zalando is in the process of transforming from a traditional e-retailer to an ecommerce platform, the Partner Program. To enable this transformation, we have created zDirect, focused on helping our partners (Brands and Retailers) to grow their businesses on the Zalando platform. Last year we more than doubled the GMV generated via the marketplace and we plan to continue that growth. For that it is crucial to steadily and quickly onboard many new merchants to the Zalando marketplace.
As Engineering Manager within our Merchant Operations department you will lead a team of 4 to 6 cross functional engineers who provide the systems to let merchants sign up for the marketplace and register all the important information of the partner in the Zalando platform. The challenge is in the diverse dependencies of the systems you own and the processes that are run autonomously to complete the merchant onboarding.
Your actions have a high impact on making Zalando become the best high quality Marketplace in the Fashion Industry.
Please read more about our business unit on our product here.
WHERE YOUR EXPERTISE IS NEEDED
- Develop and execute mid- & long-term technical vision and architectural direction to create highly scalable solutions
- Facilitate collaboration, communication and decision-making between the engineering team, product managers, stakeholders and senior management.
- Partner up with product managers and engineering teams to influence product strategy and drive the delivery on a product roadmap
- Attract, onboard, develop and retain diverse top talents to your team
- Lead the hiring efforts for the team and prioritize skills and team structure to help the team ramp-up quickly and become productive in a short period of time
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- A solid background in frontend and backend engineering in a microservice architecture with a strong understanding of core priorities, KPI’s and underlying system architecture
- At Zalando Merchant Operations we use a variety of programming languages, but most of our backend systems are written in Scala. We do have services written in Java, Go, NodeJS, and many more but an understanding of the functional paradigm would be helpful.
- Experience with people management, coaching, mentoring, building teams managing your direct’s career growth
- Significant experience supporting and developing cross-functional engineering teams within an international, agile environment.
- You have effective communication skills in English, with an ability to understand and translate business and user requirements across teams
- You think creatively, are solution oriented, adaptable to change, and have a drive for continuous innovation
- Responsible for maintaining trustful relationship with your team, supporting them and setting a high standard as an example
- Keeping business in mind, you are capable of making your teams accountable and responsible for decisions made by providing a strong sense of ownership.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Culture of trust, empowerment and constructive feedback, open source commitment, meetups, game nights, 70+ internal and fun guilds, knowledge sharing through talks, internal tech academy and blogs, product demos, parties and events
- Competitive salary, employee share shop, training platform and training budget, free language courses (English / German), pension scheme, 40% Zalando shopping discount on most products from our catalogue, discounts from external partners, centrally located offices, public transport discounts, municipality services, great IT equipment, flexible working times, additional holidays and volunteering time off, diverse online accessible sports and health offerings (such as an extensive Employee Assistance Program for you and your family members)
- Extensive onboarding, mentoring and personal development opportunities and access to an international team of experts and a very diverse group of colleagues. We are proud of our diversity and it shows in our recently published report.
Sponsorship for VISAs, Relocation assistance for internationals, PME family service and parent & child rooms* (*available only in selected locations)
We celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, and business need.
Please note that all applications must be completed using the online form – we do not accept applications via e-mail.